|Camalodunum Lodge 660|
|Friendship – Integrity – Charity|
The Lodge was constituted as No 938 The Camalodunum Lodge on the 25th January 1856, to meet in the Talbot Hotel, New Malton.
Within a short period it was decided to move to permanent premises and so moved to our present home. On the 16th July 1863 the Lodge was informed that it would henceforth stand on the register of Grand Lodge as No 660.
Our lodge is quite small but is one of the most beautiful. The floor is an exquisite tiled one and as far as we know, the only one of its type in existence.
We have over 60 members and prospective new members are always welcome to apply for membership by contacting the secretary by email.
The Romans stationed a cohort of the 6th Legion here. They called it Derventionensis after the River Derwent. They also ‘romanised’ the local name to Camulodunum. This name, by abbreviation, became the Saxon MELDVN, pronounced MAIDEN, and Maiden Greve Balk is still one of the boundaries of Malton.
Freemasons are taught to practice charity and to care, not only for their own, but also for the community as a whole, both by charitable giving, and by voluntary efforts and works as individuals. Malton Masons are no exceptions.
From its earliest days, Freemasonry has been concerned with the care of orphans, the sick and the aged. This work continues today. In addition, large sums are given to national and local charities. Since 1981, more than £30 million has been given to non-Masonic charitable causes.
Masonic charity is exercised at every level, individual Lodges make gifts and give aid to their own communities and every Province provides support to local causes. Last year alone the four charities allocated £23m in charitable support to their many beneficiaries.
Nationally, our efforts are channelled through the main Masonic charity organisations:
The Grand Charity
The Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution